Saturday, September 12, 2009

Online Classes - Some of the Things to Expect When Pursuing Education at Home

When one is faced with the potential of growth in one's career, they often look toward continuing their education in some form or fashion. For me, I decided to take a certification course online in hopes to further my career and open more doors for potential employment. It has been an excellent choice for me.

When I started the class, I didn't know what to expect. I thought that you still had to watch lectures online and participate in the discussions in some way. I thought that it would be rougher to complete classes that going through traditional means.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the particular class I was taking didn't no require video lectures. In fact, there were none. It was and is a course that was completely self-paced. I had to purchase the books that were needed before the class, and the instructors also provided additional material.

They don't have class discussion parse, but they do have message boards. If you have a question, you can post it there. Either an instructor or a fellow student will reply. Not having a structured discussion is nice.

As far as it being rougher, that depends on the individual. With this type of class, you are self-paced. You go as fast or as slow as you like. There is no one to remind you to study, so you have to make sure to set aside time for that. Some of the material can be difficult to understand, but you do have access to the instructors should you need assistance.

If you are looking to start class online, I would recommend that you set a schedule for your studies. This will keep you on track and pushing forward. Not have a set time for reading and studying could leave you open to slacking off.

I also recommend finding a quiet place and/or time to study. Libraries are wonderful for this and provide internet access. If you cannot go out to study for whatever reason, try to set your time during the quietest part of the day. This may mean waiting until after the kids have gone to bed.

I'm still not finished with my online course. Yet, I love the freedom that it offers me now and hopefully after I have finished. I am doing this not only to better myself, but also to open the doors for other opportunities. If you are wanting to get a promotion but don't see how you can at your current level, I would highly recommend looking into taking classes online.

No comments: